Monday, June 27, 2011

Parental warning label.

I had a realization a few weeks ago. A realization, that I'm sure my parents would laugh at, should I choose to share it with them. Here is my lightning bolt (I never said I was brilliant, consider yourself warned). Absolutely everything that is exciting for our children, falls into one or more of the following categories for parents: Expensive, Time-Consuming, Exhausting or Terrifying. (No, you can't slap my forehead for me.)


How did it take me this many years to figure this out? I mean, I knew my parents did a lot of exhausting, expensive & tedious tasks for me over the years, but HOLY CRAP.



It gets easier as they get older. Yea, right.

I realized this as I started planning out Monkey's birthday party. I was exhausted before I even started, and then the REAL fun began.


Custom designed birthday invite? Check!
(Time-consuming? Check!)
Invite way more people than necessary for a kid's birthday? Check!
(Time-consuming & expensive? Check and Check!)
Locate and order customized party themed outfit? Check!
(Expensive? Check!)
Plan menu, order & prepare food? Check!
(Time-consuming, expensive & exhausting? Check! Check! Check!)
Make adorable & coordinated smashcake/cupcakes/cakepops? Check!
(Expensive? Check!)
Clean my house, only to have it destroyed within hours? Check!
(Exhausting? Check!)
Put together non-junky gift bags for bratty kids party guests? Check!
(Expensive & exhausting? Check and Checkmate.)


You get the idea.


It is absolutely unreal how much parents sacrifice to do fun things for their kids. The hilarious part is, I know that in 15 years, he will not be saying "Thanks for making sure my birthday parties were always awesome, Mom!" (He might not get a chance to say it, because all this party-planning might very well kill me.) I stress myself out and spend way too much money (Don't tell the Yankee I said that!), because it is such a joy for me to make the day all about him and the things he loves (for the next 7 minutes, anyway). I love to see his face light up when he sees the perfectly proportioned Lightning McQueen cake that I very nearly had a nervous breakdown over at 1am.


Do I go over the top? Sure. Is he worth it? Abso-freakin-lutely*.




*Yea, I'm bringing it back. Don't argue with me.   

2 comments:

  1. No kidding our kids are expensive! N-Zilla's Birthday is this weekend. I told myself I was taking year off from the holiday. I guess I really meant it...'cause I nearly forgot about his bday...I think I was trying not to think about the money$$$

    ReplyDelete
  2. It only gets worse ...
    Just kidding;)

    ReplyDelete